. .. . .. . .. Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

on university and decision-making...

I'm at that point in my life where a crucial decision must be made. But I don't know how to make it. See, I have a job, but it's not very fulfilling. Honestly, I bring people food. And the thing is, they really don't appreciate me as much as they truly could. So I feel unfulfilled. My plan, now, is to go to school so that I can do something that could, potentially, make me happy. I would love to be happy.

The only flaw in my plan is unfortunately one that can't be overlooked. I have no idea what I want to do for a living. This makes the application process slightly difficult, as you can imagine.

I took a test a while back to find out what I could do, hoping that perhaps it might give me something to go on. The results? Archaeology, psychology, architecture. These are the areas it gave me. Or be a detective, it says to me. And now, I am supposed to choose one. But see, that's the trouble. I couldn't narrow it down before I took the test. And if you haven't noticed, these options aren't incredibly similar. I realize that I don't have to choose my career based on this if there is nothing there that interests me, but I guess it's easier to choose from a list of four possible careers than a blank page.

That has always been my problem. I can't really make important decisions. I always get a little frightened and don't want the responsibility of ruining my life to fall onto my shoulders, you know, if I make the wrong choice.

Everybody tells me, "Choose a career based on something you love to do. What are some of your hobbies?" To which I respond, "Hobbies? What hobbies?"

Obviously, I must have a couple of hobbies. You would think. But I really can't figure out how to make them into a career. Also, hobbies are what they are because you do them to escape the day-to-day monotony. Anyway, what are my hobbies... let me think a little... Ok. I act. I do like to act. And sing. And really, perform in general. I love performing. But hey, that market is loaded with openings, isn't it? Oh wait, no, I'm lying. It's not. So what if I'm not good enough at it to make it, and then I spend the rest of my life waitressing and trying to break into the biz? I don't think so.

So yes, I do sound very bitter and pessimistic, I know. I'm not really like that. But I'm too much of a realist on this subject I think. It's like, just do what you love, you know? I'm just too scared. Anyway, I want to have a degree in something so that I can fall back on it if necessary. And once again, it comes down to this. I thought, hey, art history could be fun, huh? Or archaeology. That does sound almost appealing.

Anyway, it's getting down to crunch time, and I'm getting a little restless. If I want to go to school this fall, applications are happening now. And I'm missing it. Because really, I'm just a scared little girl. Huh.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Statistically speaking, most people have in the area of three to four different careers in their lifetime. This may be as a result of changes in the workforce, that make it more difficult to maintain and advance within a single career. Or it may be as a result of a greater sense of individual freedom, where people are encouraged to pursue their dreams instead of staying within an industry they loathe.

My point is this. If you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, you're not alone. Heck, I'm 33 and I *still* don't know for sure what I want to be. But I know that I have a better idea now than I did when I was 18.

So make a choice of something that interests you *now*. Something that will bring you joy *now*. And don't stress about whether or not it'll still bring you joy in 10 or 20 years, because it probably won't. Whatever you choose.

And then, in 10 or 20 years, when what you do has ceased to bring you joy, go do something else instead.